Original: Opportunity for Africans post
Call for papers
The 2023 CA/AC Early Career Scholars’ Workshop
7-8 December 2023 in Accra
Application Deadline: 1 June 2023
The Chinese in Africa/Africans in China Research Network invites paper proposals for the next Early Career Scholars workshop in December 2023. The workshop will be held in Accra in collaboration with the Afro-Sino Centre of International Relations (ASCIR). It brings early career scholars together with senior academics in the field of China-Africa studies for two days of intensive feedback (from senior scholars and peers) on pre-circulated texts, mini-lectures on early career challenges and advice, and discussions led by the senior researchers. The workshop has 12 spots available for early career scholars. In addition to assessing applications based on academic quality, we are looking to put together a diverse group of participants in terms of their institutional affiliations, geographic focus, and research topics. Priority will be given to postdoctoral researchers and PhD candidates in the later stages of their doctoral program.
Some scholarships to cover expenses for a limited number of participants in the program (flights and three-nights’ accommodation).
- Some scholarships to cover expenses for a limited number of participants in the program (flights and three-nights’ accommodation).
- Please indicate in the application if you are applying for such a scholarship. In selecting candidates for the sponsored slots, we seek to get a strong representation from African countries.
- There is no registration fee for the workshop, and lunches and local transportation will be provided.
- Participants commit to submitting a paper for feedback by 1 November 2023. These will be read closely and commented on by two senior scholars.
- Participants will also be required to set aside time to read and prepare comments on several of the papers submitted by peers ahead of the conference; details will be determined when workshop confirmations are sent out.
- These commitments ensure that the workshop is a productive and constructive experience for everyone involved.
Successful candidates will receive a certificate of completion. Additionally, selected papers will be included in a Special Issue for submission in PS: Political Science and Politics or a comparable outlet addressing the themes emanating from the workshop. The CA/AC Research Network gratefully acknowledges the generous support from the Ford Foundation for this activity.
Applications should be submitted via this form by 1 June 2023
Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance by 1 July.
For more information check out this pdf:
Call for papers: The 2023 CA/AC Early Career Scholars’ Workshop